Friday 6 October 2023

Strange Currencies


Trust Me #61
Strange Currencies by R.E.M

My wife and I are currently working our way through The Bear on Disney Plus. It's outstanding television. The first 7 episodes absolutely fly by at a furious pace, then in episode 8, the last in the first series, there is a feature length that really properly begins to introduce the characters to us and the storyline. It blew me away.

Last night we watched episode 2 in series 2. Strange Currencies by R.E.M plays towards the end and it is a simply perfect fit for the scene.

So here it is. Added to my Trust Me series and my Trust Me playlist.

I hadn't heard this song in a long, long time. I remember my brother Ross having R.E.M's Monster album on CD, but although Strange Currencies was released as a single, I didn't remember it at all when I heard it on The Bear. How could I forget a song as good as this? Probably because I haven't listened to Monster this century!

Anyway, that's a whole other thing, lets focus on the song.


Strange Currencies is glorious. Peter Buck's guitar sound is so warm, fuzzy and inviting. Michael Stipe sings his heart out, in full flow, hammering the chorus over driving chords that switch effortlessly to a picked riff.

Things slow down for the final verse, until Stipe is almost breathless as he sings everything he has to say, leading to the chorus again, with Stipe adding a little extra for good measure. His lyrics are so heartfelt and poetic, beautiful to read, sublime to hear.

You know with love comes strange currencies
And here is my appeal
I need a chance, a second chance, a third chance
A fourth chance, a word, a signal
A nod, a little breath
Just to fool myself, to catch myself
And make it real, real

These words, you will be mine
These words, you will be mine, all the time

The production on Strange Currencies is stunning. I've just listened to the song 7 times on headphones and I've not tired of it. R.E.M are on fire, the strings coming in at the end just lift everything higher, add even more emotion

R.E.M were a remarkable band and when you look back at their discography you realise/remember how exceptionally prolific they were. Six albums from Murmur in 1983 to Green in 1988, and then 5 in the 90's from Out Of Time in 1991 through to Up in 1998. They would go on to release a further 4.

I've now enjoyed revisiting Monster on headphone, loving the cranked up, fuzzed, or distorted guitars and the sound of a band having fun. It's like R.E.M went back being a garage band after the largely acoustic/stripped back albums Out Of Time and Automatic For The People.

Check below for all previous blogs in my Trust Me series. For the playlist, search for Everything Flows - Trust Me on Spotify , or CLICK HERE

Previous Trust Me blogs

1. Something On Your Mind by Karen Dalton
1A. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells
2. I Am, I Said  by Neil Diamond
3. Where's The Playground Susie?   by Glen Campbell
4. If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lighfoot
5. Gimme Some Truth by John Lennon
6. Gone With The Wind Is My Love by Rita and the Tiaras
7. In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans
8. The Music Box by Ruth Copeland
9. The Ship Song by Nick Cave
10. Sometimes by James
11. I Walk The Earth by King Biscuit Time
12. Didn't Know What I Was In For by Better Oblivion Community Centre
13. When My Boy Walks Down The Street by The Magnetic Fields
14. The Man Don't Give A F**k by Super Furry Animals
15. All Flowers In Time Bend Towards The Sun by Jeff Buckley and Liz Fraser
16. Are You Lookin' by The Tymes
17. A Real Hero by College & Electric Youth
18. Feelings Gone by Callum Easter
19. Sunday Morning by The Velvet Underground
20. Did I Say by Teenage Fanclub
21. Don't Look Back by Teenage Fanclub
23. Belfast by Orbital
24. Clouds by The Jayhawks
25. Dreaming Of You by The Coral
26. Everlasting Love by Love Affair
27. Walk Away Renee by The Left Banke
28. Teenage Kicks by The Undertones
29. Shaky Ground by Sneeze
29. Rill Rill by Sleigh Bells
30. I Can Feel Your Love by Felice Taylor
31. The State We're In by The Chemical Brothers w/ Beth Orton
32. Sunshine After The Rain by Ellie Greenwich
33. Losing My Edge by LCD Soundsystem
34. Mondo 77 by Looper
35. Les Fleurs by Minnie Riperton
36. Rat Trap by The Boomtown Rats
37. How High by The Charlatans
38. I Can't Let Go by Evie Sands
39. Pop Song 89 by R.E.M.
40. Summertime Clothes by Animal Collective
41. There She Goes by The Las
42. We're Going To Be Friends by White Stripes
43. Autumn Sweater by Yo La Tengo
44. Sister Rena by Lomond Campbell
45. Revolution by The Beatles
46. Lazarus by The Boo Radleys
47. Wrote For Luck by Happy Mondays
48. American Trilogy by The Delgados
49. Loser by Beck 
50. Silent Sigh by Badly Drawn Boy
51. Comedy by Shack
52. Take The Skinheads Bowling by Camper Van Beethoven
53. Freakscene by Dinosaur Jr
54. Thank You For Being You by The Pastels
55. I Think I'm In Love by Spiritualized
56. Chestnut Mare by The Byrds
57. Cannonball by The Breeders
58. Like A Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan
59. You Make Me Weak At The Knees by Electrelane
60. Lucky by Radiohead





No comments: