Wednesday 15 April 2020

I Walk The Earth


Trust Me #11 I Walk The Earth by King Biscuit Time


A funky beat and bass introduce us to I Walk The Earth before Steve Mason's beautiful voice comes in and after the first couple of verses ends we're into a real groove. Mason sings about being taken away and rising higher, this is exactly what the song does to the listener.

It's a beautiful groove and the more I listen to it, the more I appreciate how Mason melds everything together to work. The layers of bass, beats, melodies, backing vocals, bleeps, percussion ... it's incredible.

Mason has recorded and released in various guises post Beta Band, his work under the name of King Biscuit Time was the most immediate after his former band broke up. His work was pretty sporadic until he started releasing under his own name, with 4 fine albums coming in 9-years.

Mason's voice is sublime, his melodies are so natural and his ability to find a groove is uncanny. If you've never heard this song then trust me, it's a cracker.

When I walk through the earth
I get stuck in the middle
I can't see your love
I don't know your love

When I walk through the earth
I get stuck in the middle
I can't see your love
I don't know your love

Why won't you take me away?
Take me a day
Keep on rising higher

Why won't you take me away?
Take me a day
Keep on rising higher

Hey knock me
Picking on your own reality


Previous Trust Me blogs

1. Something On Your Mind by Karen Dalton
1A. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells
2. I Am, I Said  by Neil Diamond
3. Where's The Playground Susie?   by Glen Campbell
4. If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lighfoot
5. Gimme Some Truth by John Lennon
6. Gone With The Wind Is My Love by Rita and the Tiaras
7. In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans
8. The Music Box by Ruth Copeland
9. The Ship Song by Nick Cave
10. Sometimes by James

No comments: