Wednesday 23 September 2020

Are You Lookin'

 

Trust Me #16

Are You Lookin' by The Tymes is a song I stumbled across by chance last month. I was playing one of the many fantastic Heavenly Social playlists on Spotify and just left it on. All of a sudden I stopped what I was doing.

Are You Lookin' stretches to over 9-minutes in length. There is a slow intro to the song with spoken word with a father explaining to his daughter about a lady of the night.

George Williams (lead vocalist) then comes in over gentle percussion and bass, his soft hushed vocal is supplemented absolutely beautifully at 2-minutes 25 seconds and he soars for the chorus/refrain that the song comes back to.

Everybody's under the same cloud

If it rains on you

It rains on me 

The lyric just grabbed me immediately. It rings so true, yet how many believe it? 

The song introduces little flourishes of strings which seem to lift the vocals and the rest of the musicians at times. The production is absolutely incredible, reverb echo effects are added to Williams voice at times, his little piece of improvisation just after 5-minutes as the song hits its groove for an extended chorus refrain. The rest of the The Tymes take the refrain on, leaving Williams to either join in, or to just let rip.

You can check Are You Lookin' on Spotify or you YouTube below.

And all of the songs in the Trust Me series feature on the Everything Flows Trust Me Playlist on Spotify. Search for it or click HERE


Previous Trust Me blogs

1. Something On Your Mind by Karen Dalton
1A. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells
2. I Am, I Said  by Neil Diamond
3. Where's The Playground Susie?   by Glen Campbell
4. If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lighfoot
5. Gimme Some Truth by John Lennon
6. Gone With The Wind Is My Love by Rita and the Tiaras
7. In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans
8. The Music Box by Ruth Copeland
9. The Ship Song by Nick Cave
10. Sometimes by James
11. I Walk The Earth by King Biscuit Time
12. Didn't Know What I Was In For by Better Oblivion Community Centre
13. When My Boy Walks Down The Street by The Magnetic Fields
14. The Man Don't Give A F**k by Super Furry Animals
15. All Flowers In Time Bend Towards The Sun by Jeff Buckley and Liz Fraser



No comments: