Monday 2 October 2023

The Ballad Of Darren


The Ballad Of Darren
 by Blur is an astonishing album that I've revisited many times since its release back in July. The cover is a photo of someone swimming in Gourock's outdoor swimming pool.

Darren, in case you were wondering, is Darren Evans, Blur's longtime bodyguard. Evans had been nagging at singer Damon Albarn to finish a 2003 demo that has now become The Ballad, the opening song on the album.

But the more you listen to the album, the more you realise that Darren is really Damon. Recently split from his long term partner, Albarn pours his heart out on this album; there is reflection, memories, realisation, thoughts of good times, admission (the frank I fucked up starts St. Charles Square ...) and pure heartfelt honesty.

What a year for Blur. A new album, small intimate gigs and huge nights at Wembley, shows they had long dreamed of playing. Damon Albarn is the most prolific high profile artist of my generation. He is in the incredible position where he can do whatever the hell he wants. Gorillaz, a solo album on the piano, some small solo shows, a Blur album, some tiny shows, a huge stadium show .... The number of albums he has released in the last 30-years is pretty mind blowing, he is constantly creating, full of energy, intelligence and talent. 

Back to The Ballad Of Darren. The opening lyrics to The Ballad set the tone, we're immediately into Albarn's heartache. 

I just looked into my life

And all I saw was that you're not coming back

It's the soundtrack to a breakup. And it sounds f**king beautiful. The lyrics, Damon's beautiful melancholic voice, the melodies, the band playing as one ... it tugs on my heart strings.

Well I know, I can't change the time

I know I'm already breaking when I look into your eyes


The aforementioned St. Charles Square ups the pace, Albarn pleading don't leave me, don't leave me completely. It's probably my least favourite song on the album, a little brash and out of place among so many beautiful ballads and melancholic grooves.

Barbaric is absolutely subime, Coxon's jangling guitar riff cuts to big reverb chords, before cutting back again. Albarn sounds angelic. Is he singing to his lost love, or his therapist, or all of us? He is singing for all of us who have suffered heartbreak at some time or another.

And I'd like if you've got the time

To talk to you about

What this breakup has done to me

The chorus is a beauty and I love the way it changes through the course of the song. Beginning with I have lost, then you have lost (his therapist talking?) and then we have lost

I have lost

The feeling that I thought I'd never lose

At what cost?

The feeling that I thought I'd never lose

It is barbaric

Barbaric - the dictionary definition is savagely cruel. As in, he carried out barbaric acts of war.

Albarn's loss is savagely cruel.

Still, he has written a fucking beautiful album as a result!


Russian Strings will tug on your heart strings. Damon, heartbroken, calling out ... going on to say that the only thing left for him to do is turn is music up, put his headphones on and hit the hard stuff.

Where are you now?

Where are you now?

Are you coming back to us?

Are you online?

Are you contactable, again?

Blur and Albarn strip things right back for The Everglades (For Leonard) with Damon seeking trees and calmer days.

The Narcissist is an absolutely incredible song; gorgeous guitar, Coxon providing delightful backing vocals, Albarn sounding all forlorn and then lifting things for the chorus. 

I'm a shine a light in your eyes

You'll probably shine it back on me

But I won't fall, this time

With Godspeed, I'll heed the signs

This album could be as emotional as Blur and Albarn might ever sound on record. Goodbye Albert has Coxon playing with some gorgeous psychedelic effects on guitar and Damon reflecting.

I stayed away

I gave you time

Why don't you talk to me anymore?

Don't punish me forever

Albarn is always reflecting on this album. Far Away Island has him singing over keyboards, his classic mix of melodic and melancholic at its best; I'm cut to pieces, I'm dancing alone

Closing with The Heights again has Albarn reflecting on where he is and where he and his love have been. It was love, but it's gone.

Suppose I'm on my own tonight

Suppose I've got to find the heights

I gave a lot of heart, so did you





1 comment:

Mike said...

I've only seen blur twice...in a venue that is more than 70 miles from my house and i've only been to that venue to see 1 band. On both occasions they played a song i wasn't familiar with - they were 'Under The Westway' and latterly ' The Narcissist'... and i don't think i've ever been moved by two songs i'd heard for the first time before or since..