Monday 3 February 2020

The Ship Song


Trust me #9


On Sunday 26th January I attended a beautiful Scots/Burns/Australian event to mark Burns Birthday and Australian Day. The host, an Aussie, Professor Andrew Biankin, opened the doors to his wonderful home and invited colleagues and friends round for an afternoon of poetry and song, all to raise funds for Pancreatic Cancer Scotland - the charity I work for.

The talent on display was truly awesome, but one song stood out in particular for me towards the end of the evening, a beautiful rendition of Nick Cave's The Ship Song.

Cave is an artist I have seen live, but I haven't properly dug into his extensive back catalogue or his recent critically acclaimed albums. That might change. Maybe I'm ready for him now.

The Ship Song is so beautiful, so heartfelt, so perfect. The delivery and performance is simply stunning, enhancing the poetic words.

Trust me, if you haven't heard this (or even if you have) then sit back and enjoy.




Come sail your ships around me
And burn your bridges down
We make a little history baby
Every time you come around

Come loose your dogs upon me
And let your hair hang down
You are a mystery to me
Every time you come around

We talk about it all night long
We define our moral ground
But when I crawl into your arms
Everything comes tumblin down

Come sail your ships around me
And burn your bridges down
We make a little history baby
Every time you come around

Your face has fallen sad now
For you know the time is night
When I must remove your wings
And you, you must try to fly

Come sail your ships around me
And burn your bridges down
We make a little history baby
Every time you come around

Come loose your dogs upon me
And let your hair hang down
Your are a little mystery to me
Every time you come around

Words and music by Nick Cave

Previous Trust Me blogs

1. Something On Your Mind by Karen Dalton
1A. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells
2. I Am, I Said  by Neil Diamond
3. Where's The Playground Susie?   by Glen Campbell
4. If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lighfoot
5. Gimme Some Truth by John Lennon
6. Gone With The Wind Is My Love by Rita and the Tiaras
7. In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans
8. The Music Box by Ruth Copeland

No comments: