Monday 3 July 2023

I Think I'm In Love

Trust Me #55
I Think I'm In Love by Spiritualized  (and the Chemical Brothers vocal remix)

On Sunday 18th June I fulfilled a long held ambition when I got to DJ at McChuills, my very favourite pub in Glasgow. It was an honour to play alongside one of the bars resident DJ's - Stevie Elements. I had almost as much fun raking through his cases of 7-inch singles as I did playing.

And I also enjoyed looking through my own records while preparing my DJ bag for the night. I was determined to play an eclectic set, in keeping with my Anything Goes & Everything Flows monthly mixes. 

My mission when DJing is to get people dancing/singing/nodding their heads and showing signs of appreciation and I particularly love when people take the time to come up and ask what song I played if they didn't know it. Thankfully I achieved all of the above, including words of acknowledgement from another McChuills resident, the legendary JP who came up to chat a couple of times and I also shared a beer at the bar with him while Stevie was taking one of his turns on the decks.

I played Chemical Brothers remix of Spiritualized's I Think I'm In Love and a couple of people came up to ask who it was. It is an incredible song and sounded out of this world on the big speakers; psychedelic sonic perfection that takes off for the sun and urges you to hold on for the ride.

The original version is on Spiritualized's 1997 classic album Ladies and Gentleman We Are Floating In Space. It's an absolute masterpiece, from the elaborate prescription pill style packaging to the melting pot of music and the sound of Jason Pierce's heart breaking spread over 70-minutes. NME's Paul Moody hailed the album as a seismic tour de force, while the Melody Maker praised it as one mind blowing perspective-fusing supernova of an album .. that redefines notions of bittersweet and love-hate to the point where everyday emotions seem very small indeed. I'll save a blog on that for another time.

I Think I'm In Love burns beautifully slow to begin. A continuous note drones for almost a full minute, squelchy guitar sounds are played over the top before a gentle piano is introduced, some mouth organ and then Pierce begins to sing.

Sun so bright that I'm nearly blind

Cool cause I'm wired and I'm out of my mind

Warms the dope running down my spine

But I don't care about you and I've got nothing to do

Pierce's voice sounds blissfully damaged as the Spiritualized sound is layered delicately and delightfully around him. After he sings I don't care about you for the second time the layers drop out leaving Pierce to sing I've got nothing over a few piano notes. 

Everything stops and then the next stage of the song begins, beats are introduced and there is more of a groove, allowed to flow and develop for almost 2-minutes and then Pierce is back with call and response vocals that are catchy and funny. Very probably self depreciating.

I think I'm in love

Probably just hungry

There are times when Pierce sounds lost in the groove his Spiritualized orchestra has conjured, letting out little come on yelps in the background, as if he is urging them to keep going. 

I think I want to tell the world

Probably ain't listening

Horns, guitar, synth, piano, guitars, drones, beats and bass. The way everything is layered together is sublime. Ending with a gospel choir singing I think I'm in love repeatedly, the song is faded out. I imagine Pierce would never have wanted it to end.

And then The Chemical Brothers get their hands on it! 

Tom Rowlands and Ed Simons really do work their magic on their remix, producing something super trippy and dazzling. Spiritualized stop everything to go from part 1 to part 2 of the song, while The Chemical Brothers build and tease, almost sounding as if they are getting all their equipment read to blast off for space.

After the beats have kicked in they bring everything back to allow Pierce to sing;

I think I can fly

Probably just falling

Chemical by name, chemical by nature. This remix is a match made in heaven. Rowland and Simons seem to have dipped Pierce's vocals into pot of LSD and MDMA, thrown in some synths for good measure to see what happens and then dived in after them. Their remix is spacey, trippy, cool and euphoric. The brothers really do work it out.

Official audio

Chemical Brothers vocal remix

Chemical Brothers instrumental remix


A list of all previous songs I've blogged about in my Trust Me feature are listed below, along with links to each blog. The original version of I Think I'm In Love joins them. You can check the Chemical Brothers instrumental and vocal remixes below on YouTube. 

I've also collated all the songs in my Trust Me series into a playlist on Spotify that you can find by searching for Everything Flows - Trust Me , or you can CLICK HERE

Previous Trust Me blogs

1. Something On Your Mind by Karen Dalton
1A. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells
2. I Am, I Said  by Neil Diamond
3. Where's The Playground Susie?   by Glen Campbell
4. If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lighfoot
5. Gimme Some Truth by John Lennon
6. Gone With The Wind Is My Love by Rita and the Tiaras
7. In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans
8. The Music Box by Ruth Copeland
9. The Ship Song by Nick Cave
10. Sometimes by James
11. I Walk The Earth by King Biscuit Time
12. Didn't Know What I Was In For by Better Oblivion Community Centre
13. When My Boy Walks Down The Street by The Magnetic Fields
14. The Man Don't Give A F**k by Super Furry Animals
15. All Flowers In Time Bend Towards The Sun by Jeff Buckley and Liz Fraser
16. Are You Lookin' by The Tymes
17. A Real Hero by College & Electric Youth
18. Feelings Gone by Callum Easter
19. Sunday Morning by The Velvet Underground
20. Did I Say by Teenage Fanclub
21. Don't Look Back by Teenage Fanclub
23. Belfast by Orbital
24. Clouds by The Jayhawks
25. Dreaming Of You by The Coral
26. Everlasting Love by Love Affair
27. Walk Away Renee by The Left Banke
28. Teenage Kicks by The Undertones
29. Shaky Ground by Sneeze
29. Rill Rill by Sleigh Bells
30. I Can Feel Your Love by Felice Taylor
31. The State We're In by The Chemical Brothers w/ Beth Orton
32. Sunshine After The Rain by Ellie Greenwich
33. Losing My Edge by LCD Soundsystem
34. Mondo 77 by Looper
35. Les Fleurs by Minnie Riperton
36. Rat Trap by The Boomtown Rats
37. How High by The Charlatans
38. I Can't Let Go by Evie Sands
39. Pop Song 89 by R.E.M.
40. Summertime Clothes by Animal Collective
41. There She Goes by The Las
42. We're Going To Be Friends by White Stripes
43. Autumn Sweater by Yo La Tengo
44. Sister Rena by Lomond Campbell
45. Revolution by The Beatles
46. Lazarus by The Boo Radleys
47. Wrote For Luck by Happy Mondays
48. American Trilogy by The Delgados
49. Loser by Beck 
50. Silent Sigh by Badly Drawn Boy
51. Comedy by Shack
52. Take The Skinheads Bowling by Camper Van Beethoven
53. Freakscene by Dinosaur Jr


No comments: