Monday 7 August 2023

Cannonball

Trust Me #57

30-years ago #6

Cannonball by The Breeders

Released 30-years ago, Cannonball by The Breeders is super infectious and outrageously cool. As a debut single, it must be up with the very best.

Beginning with what sounds like a fun soundcheck, there is a roll of drumsticks, a bass kicking into life, beats, a playful guitar riff and then a wonderful distorted, chugging one. 

Kim Deal, fresh from her Pixies break up, is in no rush to sing, allowing the delightful groove to run until 49 seconds before singing;

Spitting in a wishing well

Blown to hell, crash

I'm the last splash

Deal sounds super sweet during the verses, then she is deliciously distorted in the bridge to the chorus hook. And oh, what a hook?! I imagine that anyone reading this who is even remotely familiar with the song will be singing it right now.

In the shade

In the shade

Cannonball is an incredibly leftfield pop song, but Deal knows the benefits/pop trick of repeating lyrics and she uses the lines I know you little libertine, I know you're a cannonball after the first verse and then to start the second verse. Deal then goes on to sing the brilliant seductive but bonkers line;

I'll be your whatever-you-want

The bong in this reggae song

Spike Jonez directed the video which features the band in a rehearsal studio, interspersed with a cannonball rolling down streets and Deal sticking her head under water for the waa ooo ooo section.

But it's the sun kissed in the shade, in the shade hook that gets me every time I listen to this song. Cannonball is a perfect slice of energetic garage punk pop. It just has absolutely everything, I can play it 7-times in a row and it still feels fresh.

Cannonball is added to my Trust Me playlist on Spotify. You can find a list of all the songs on it to date below, along with links to the blogs.

Search for Everything Flows - Trust Me on Spotify , or CLICK HERE

Previous Trust Me blogs

1. Something On Your Mind by Karen Dalton
1A. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells
2. I Am, I Said  by Neil Diamond
3. Where's The Playground Susie?   by Glen Campbell
4. If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lighfoot
5. Gimme Some Truth by John Lennon
6. Gone With The Wind Is My Love by Rita and the Tiaras
7. In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans
8. The Music Box by Ruth Copeland
9. The Ship Song by Nick Cave
10. Sometimes by James
11. I Walk The Earth by King Biscuit Time
12. Didn't Know What I Was In For by Better Oblivion Community Centre
13. When My Boy Walks Down The Street by The Magnetic Fields
14. The Man Don't Give A F**k by Super Furry Animals
15. All Flowers In Time Bend Towards The Sun by Jeff Buckley and Liz Fraser
16. Are You Lookin' by The Tymes
17. A Real Hero by College & Electric Youth
18. Feelings Gone by Callum Easter
19. Sunday Morning by The Velvet Underground
20. Did I Say by Teenage Fanclub
21. Don't Look Back by Teenage Fanclub
23. Belfast by Orbital
24. Clouds by The Jayhawks
25. Dreaming Of You by The Coral
26. Everlasting Love by Love Affair
27. Walk Away Renee by The Left Banke
28. Teenage Kicks by The Undertones
29. Shaky Ground by Sneeze
29. Rill Rill by Sleigh Bells
30. I Can Feel Your Love by Felice Taylor
31. The State We're In by The Chemical Brothers w/ Beth Orton
32. Sunshine After The Rain by Ellie Greenwich
33. Losing My Edge by LCD Soundsystem
34. Mondo 77 by Looper
35. Les Fleurs by Minnie Riperton
36. Rat Trap by The Boomtown Rats
37. How High by The Charlatans
38. I Can't Let Go by Evie Sands
39. Pop Song 89 by R.E.M.
40. Summertime Clothes by Animal Collective
41. There She Goes by The Las
42. We're Going To Be Friends by White Stripes
43. Autumn Sweater by Yo La Tengo
44. Sister Rena by Lomond Campbell
45. Revolution by The Beatles
46. Lazarus by The Boo Radleys
47. Wrote For Luck by Happy Mondays
48. American Trilogy by The Delgados
49. Loser by Beck 
50. Silent Sigh by Badly Drawn Boy
51. Comedy by Shack
52. Take The Skinheads Bowling by Camper Van Beethoven
53. Freakscene by Dinosaur Jr
54. Thank You For Being You by The Pastels
55. I Think I'm In Love by Spiritualized
56. Chestnut Mare by The Byrds

No comments: