Cover version(s) of the month #123
Olivia Newton John covers George Harrison
Bonus covers
George Harrison and Olivia Newton-John cover Bob Dylan's If Not For You
I recently bought a 7-inch of Paul McCartney's Coming Up on Discogs and was pleasantly surprised when Olivia Newton-John's version of George Harrison's What Is Life? (a record/cover I didn't know existed) was flagged up as another record I might be interested in. I absolutely was! Especially at the bargain price of £3. This is the modern day equivalent of finding a hidden gem in a dusty record crate. Not quite as much fun, but still pretty thrilling!
What Is Life? from George Harrison's majestic All Things Must Pass album, also released as a single in February 1971, is one of my favourite George songs. I get a lift every single time I hear it and adore the incredible guitar sounds that feature throughout.
Released a year later in 1972, Newton-John's version remains true to the original, but it doesn't have the power of George's wall of sound, the Phil Spector produced gem that has roaring brass and rippling reverb. Olivia's voice is beautiful, all sunny, light and country-tinged, super melodic and pure.
I subsequently discovered that Newton-John had also recorded Bob Dylan's If Not For You, a song that the author released in October 1970 on his New Morning album. Dylan is at his poetic best, singing beautiful lyrics in a simple and catchy melody. There is an urgency to it, and also a gentleness, especially with the xylophone played beautifully alongside the acoustic shuffle groove.
If not for you my sky would fall
Rain would gather too
Without your love I'd be nowhere at all
I'd be lost, if not for you
Dylan and Harrison recorded a version together back in May 1970. This would later be released in 1991 as part of Dylan's bootleg series. This is absolutely brilliant, all rustic and organic, Harrison's guitar sliding and piercing in all the right places, sounding utterly sublime against the acoustic groove and Dylan's harmonica. Harrison and Dylan met, jammed and wrote together. I wonder if recordings are lurking somewhere in Dylan's vaults ...
Harrison released his slide guitar infused version a month after Dylan's original on All Things Must Pass. Like many of the recordings on that wonderful album, Harrison sounds positive, hopeful and hopelessly in love. There is a playfulness to the guitars and a lovely nod to Dylan with the harmonica.
Newton-John's version is more akin to George's. She clearly loved his own songs, and his taste in, and arrangement of, others. Her voice is beautifully pure and clear - gorgeous.
What about the original What Is Life?
Opening with a glorious soaring Harrison fuzztone descending guitar riff the song also features Motown-esque beats and ecstatic horns. It's joyous pop music, Harrison sounds head over heels in love and happy to shout it to the world.
What I feel, I can't say
But my love is there for you any time of day
Spread across 4 minutes 24 seconds, there is plenty of time for Harrison to declare how helpless he is/would be without this incredible love he has. The drums pound, horns soar and guitars sound utterly incredible. Everything is super positive and upbeat.
Tell me, what is my life, without your love?
Tell me, who am I, without you, by my side?
Olivia Newton-John's cover version and George's original, plus their takes on Dylan and his original are added to my Everything Flows Cool Cover Versions playlist on Spotify which also features all of the songs listed below. Search for the title or CLICK HERE
Previous covers of the month blogs
40. Jumpin' Jack Flash
44. Witchi Tai To
45. Our Lips Are Sealed
46. Sunshine Of Your Love
47. Here Comes The Sun
48. I Think We're Alone Now
49. Don't Let Me Down
50. It's Oh So Quiet
51. Alcoholiday
52. Summer Holiday
53. Who Do You Think You Are?
54. Head On
55. Nothing Compares 2 U



No comments:
Post a Comment