Wednesday 4 May 2022

Les Fleurs


Trust me #35

Back in 1999 I bought a compilation by Giles Peterson; The Incredible Sound Of ....

I was introduced to a dazzling array of Peterson's favourite songs across 2 CD's. Track 3 was Les Fleurs by Minnie Riperton. I'm not sure if this was the first time I heard the song or not. I suspect, given how strongly I still associate the song with this compilation, that it was.

WHAT ............. A ............ SONG!

I've said it a few times through the history of this blog and I always mean it when I do, but music really, really doesn't get much better than this. Spot the extra really!

Only 3-minutes and 18 seconds long, Les Fleur oozes class, beauty and a pureness that sets it apart. 

2 verses, a bridge and a euphoric chorus .... WOW the chorus is indescribably good. Out of this world. It just soars!

Written by Charles Stepney and Richard Rudolph, Stepney also arranged the beautiful, lush, sublime music, Riperton's voice gels easily and naturally. It all sounds so good. 

Honestly, this is one of those songs that leaves me speechless. So just listen and enjoy. If this is your first time listening to Les Fleurs then please let me know what you think.

LISTEN HERE ON YOUTUBE

A list of all previous songs I've blogged about in my Trust Me feature are listed below, along with links to each blog.

I've also collated them all into a playlist on Spotify that you can find by searching for Everything Flows - Trust Me , or you can CLICK HERE

Will somebody wear me to the fair

Will a lady pin me in her hair

Will a child find me by the stream

Oooh, kiss my petals, weave me through a dream


For all of these simple things and much more

A flower was born

It blooms to spread love and joy, faith and hope

To people forlorn


Inside every man

Lives the seed of a flower

If he looks within, he finds beauty and power


Ring all the bells, sing and tell people everywhere that the flower has come

Light up the sky with your prayers of gladness and rejoice for the darkness is gone

Throw of your fears, let your heart beat freely, at the sign that a new time is born

Previous Trust Me blogs

1. Something On Your Mind by Karen Dalton
1A. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells
2. I Am, I Said  by Neil Diamond
3. Where's The Playground Susie?   by Glen Campbell
4. If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lighfoot
5. Gimme Some Truth by John Lennon
6. Gone With The Wind Is My Love by Rita and the Tiaras
7. In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans
8. The Music Box by Ruth Copeland
9. The Ship Song by Nick Cave
10. Sometimes by James
11. I Walk The Earth by King Biscuit Time
12. Didn't Know What I Was In For by Better Oblivion Community Centre
13. When My Boy Walks Down The Street by The Magnetic Fields
14. The Man Don't Give A F**k by Super Furry Animals
15. All Flowers In Time Bend Towards The Sun by Jeff Buckley and Liz Fraser
16. Are You Lookin' by The Tymes
17. A Real Hero by College & Electric Youth
18. Feelings Gone by Callum Easter
19. Sunday Morning by The Velvet Underground
20. Did I Say by Teenage Fanclub
21. Don't Look Back by Teenage Fanclub
23. Belfast by Orbital
24. Clouds by The Jayhawks
25. Dreaming Of You by The Coral
26. Everlasting Love by Love Affair
27. Walk Away Renee by The Left Banke
28. Teenage Kicks by The Undertones
29. Shaky Ground by Sneeze
29. Rill Rill by Sleigh Bells
30. I Can Feel Your Love by Felice Taylor
31. The State We're In by The Chemical Brothers w/ Beth Orton
32. Sunshine After The Rain by Ellie Greenwich
33. Losing My Edge by LCD Soundsystem
34. Mondo 77 by Looper



No comments: