Thursday 2 May 2024

Stove

Trust me #70
Stove by The Lemonheads

Released in 1990, Lovey by The Lemonheads offers a rewarding glimpse into the world of Evan Dando before his life changed with the release of It's A Shame About Ray in 1992.

After Lovey, Dando travelled to Australia to hang out and write the songs that would form breakthrough album It's A Shame About Ray and follow up Come On Feel The Lemonheads.

Lovey is a bit of a mixed bag, but it contains two absolute gems in the shape of Ride With Me and Stove. Evan's talent for storytelling, vivid and emotive descriptive lyrics, unique guitar skills and flowing melodies really shine through. I was going to write about both songs, but decided to go with Stove. 

Stove is sensational songwriting, with Dando telling of his heartbreak and guilt at replacing his old stove. Starting at a furious pace with crashing drums and driving guitar, Dando just about keeps up. 

There is no time to waste, you immediately get the true feeling of Dando needing to talk to someone; he sings of the gas man coming to take out his old beloved stove and replace her, the every day conversation about the guys past and his pride of his son being at University and this 'of the moment' update sits alongside Evan's pangs of regret at throwing out his stove.

The gas man came, took out our electric stove

I helped him carry her

He told me he had been a prize fighter once

Shuffled her through and out the door

We walked back in, talked 'bout his boy at UVM

And we began, to out the new stove in


But I miss my stove, she's all alone

Call it love, she's been replaced

I miss my stove, she's all alone.

She's right out front and looks a mess

Unwanted guest, we lied to her

I miss my stove

Feels sad I guess

There is a melodic guitar break allowing things to slow right down, as if Dando is sadly reflecting, he then launches back into full on confessional therapy mode, guitars back on full blast.

I know I shouldn't think about it anymore

'What's the point?' you say

But I'm reminded each time I walk out my door

My stove is gone to stay

There is then a burst of the first verse and chorus before an instrumental, that becomes increasingly fast paced, sees out the final 58-seconds of the song.

Evan continues to play Stove live to this day. Acoustic, it is a lullaby to an stove, with a full band, The Lemonheads romp through it at pace. Either way, the longing and love for the stove remains all too clear.

A live acoustic version was released as one of the b-sides to the It's A Shame About Ray single. There is extra tenderness and reflection when Dando strips the song right back to the bones. 

Stove is added to my Trust Me playlist; search for Everything Flows - Trust Me on Spotify or CLICK HERE 

Check below for all previous blogs in my Trust Me series.

Previous Trust Me blogs

1. Something On Your Mind by Karen Dalton
1A. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells
2. I Am, I Said  by Neil Diamond
3. Where's The Playground Susie?   by Glen Campbell
4. If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lighfoot
5. Gimme Some Truth by John Lennon
6. Gone With The Wind Is My Love by Rita and the Tiaras
7. In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans
8. The Music Box by Ruth Copeland
9. The Ship Song by Nick Cave
10. Sometimes by James
11. I Walk The Earth by King Biscuit Time
12. Didn't Know What I Was In For by Better Oblivion Community Centre
13. When My Boy Walks Down The Street by The Magnetic Fields
14. The Man Don't Give A F**k by Super Furry Animals
15. All Flowers In Time Bend Towards The Sun by Jeff Buckley and Liz Fraser
16. Are You Lookin' by The Tymes
17. A Real Hero by College & Electric Youth
18. Feelings Gone by Callum Easter
19. Sunday Morning by The Velvet Underground
20. Did I Say by Teenage Fanclub
21. Don't Look Back by Teenage Fanclub
23. Belfast by Orbital
24. Clouds by The Jayhawks
25. Dreaming Of You by The Coral
26. Everlasting Love by Love Affair
27. Walk Away Renee by The Left Banke
28. Teenage Kicks by The Undertones
29. Shaky Ground by Sneeze
29. Rill Rill by Sleigh Bells
30. I Can Feel Your Love by Felice Taylor
31. The State We're In by The Chemical Brothers w/ Beth Orton
32. Sunshine After The Rain by Ellie Greenwich
33. Losing My Edge by LCD Soundsystem
34. Mondo 77 by Looper
35. Les Fleurs by Minnie Riperton
36. Rat Trap by The Boomtown Rats
37. How High by The Charlatans
38. I Can't Let Go by Evie Sands
39. Pop Song 89 by R.E.M.
40. Summertime Clothes by Animal Collective
41. There She Goes by The Las
42. We're Going To Be Friends by White Stripes
43. Autumn Sweater by Yo La Tengo
44. Sister Rena by Lomond Campbell
45. Revolution by The Beatles
46. Lazarus by The Boo Radleys
47. Wrote For Luck by Happy Mondays
48. American Trilogy by The Delgados
49. Loser by Beck 
50. Silent Sigh by Badly Drawn Boy
51. Comedy by Shack
52. Take The Skinheads Bowling by Camper Van Beethoven
53. Freakscene by Dinosaur Jr
54. Thank You For Being You by The Pastels
55. I Think I'm In Love by Spiritualized
56. Chestnut Mare by The Byrds
57. Cannonball by The Breeders
58. Like A Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan
59. You Make Me Weak At The Knees by Electrelane
60. Lucky by Radiohead
61. Strange Currencies by R.E.M.
61. I Am The Cosmos by Chris Bell
62. Like A Ship (Without A Sail) by Pastor TL Barrett and the Youth for Christ Choir
63. Nothing But A Heartache by The Flirtations
64. Made of Stone by The Stone Roses
65. Tonight In Belfast by Orbital, David Holmes, DJ Helen and Mike Garry
66. Anything by Adrianne Lenker
67. I Hold Something In My Hand by Bill Ryder-Jones
68. I Meant Every Word by Burnett Sisters
69. Dream Baby Dream by Suicide

No comments: