Sunday 26 May 2024

Popstars by Broken by Rock

I first blogged about Broken by Rock back in 2016 to highlight their song Brittle which I described as a fragile New Order. Brittle, was essentially a home recording by Alan Clarke, raw, soulful and charming. I still adore the song and would love it on 7-inch!

Since then, I've become friends with Alan through our mutual love of Teenage Fanclub and many other bands. Back at the start of March, I got a glimpse into the current world of Broken by Rock when they played with Starboard Hazes at the Old Hairdressers. 

Live, the three-piece Broken by Rock (Alan on guitar and vocals, Derek McKee on drums and Andrew Clarke (cousin) on bass) played with real power, style and humour. Alan's guitar sound was right up my street, as were his infectious melodies and lyrics that could be both touchingly heartfelt, or honest and funny.

Broken by Rock sounded superb and I was delighted when he told me that Broken By Rock were going into the studio to record with Rod Jones from Idlewild.

And the first song from that session is now out in the world!

New single Popstars, rides in on a dirty bass groove, Alan introduces some chiming guitar while Del keeps everything tight. There is something about Alan's voice that grabs me. Perhaps it's because he is a friend and I know how much his songs mean to him, perhaps it is the way he pours his heart into it, straining in all the right ways like other singers I love. But it grabs me, maybe I just can't explain it. 

Popstars is kind of about loving music that sticks with you through life. Take Teenage Fanclub for example, or The Lemonheads, The Mary Chain, Dinosaur Jr ... all bands that Alan and I have followed for over 30-years. 

But, and even more so, Popstars is also loving bands/popstars who might have had their 15-minutes of fame, got on Top of the Pops and/or been a one-hit wonder. The songs, super catchy, stick with you.

Popstars come and they go 

These old records still make me cry

These are the songs that we know

We love, we live, we sing, we die

Popstars come and they go 

These old records still make me cry

The chorus (above) is super catchy, the middle eight really grabs me, especially the line;

The whole world moved on with you

But we will sing your song once again

This really fits in with the fact that so many bands are having another moment in the sun, some largely thanks to just one song. 

Maybe, just maybe, Broken by Rock will have a deserved moment in the sun. Certainly, Radio Scotland have picked up on the catchy guitar pop sound of Popstars and made it single of the week on The Afternoon Show.

Popstars is out now on all the usual streaming/download sites.

Official video


No comments: