Friday 7 June 2024

I Can Do It With A Broken Heart

 

Trust me #73

I Can Do It With A Broken Heart by Taylor Swift

Rather weirdly, I got into Swift through my old 7-a-side football friend Craig who manages Mogwai's Rock Action label! Craig has superb taste in pop music and highlighted We Are Never Getting Back Together on his social channels many years ago. 1989 was my eldest daughter Zoe's first album!

Like many other fans of pop music, I've fallen for Taylor Swift. What an incredible artist, songwriter, performer and role model Swift is. 

Now, my youngest daughter Rosie (age 9) is a proud Swiftie and I love when she tells me that what she was up to at playtime and lunchtime at school - "Me and my friends were talking about Taylor Swift's albums."

I recently walked behind Rosie and her friend on the way to our local coffee shop and listened in to one of their conversations. I wanted to join in! Swift is inspiring young kids to buy and discuss albums. Incredible!

As a family, we debated about trying for tickets to see Taylor play Murrayfield. I did log on, but there were only 600 quid tickets left. Pretty much on the stage! But 4 tickets would be 2,400! Going on holiday over a one-off night out (no matter how good that night out might be) won over. 

Now, with Taylor's run of Murrayfield gigs coming up this weekend. I kind of wish we'd just bought the tickets ... although we'd be paying for them for quite some time!

Recently, Rosie introduced me to new song I Can Do It With A Broken Heart and we have been playing it pretty constantly in the house and in the car. 

Somehow this incredible slice of pop perfection didn't make the 'normal' version of Taylor Swift's latest album (her 11th) The Tortured Poets Department. For most artists, this would be a lead single. However, Swift is so prolific that I Can Do It With A Broken Heart is tucked in on the Anthology version which contains 31 songs and over 2-hours of music. Taylor has now released a remarkable 274 songs in her career. Incredible!

Starting slow and then kicking in with what feels like two sets of choruses, I Can Do It With A Broken Heart deserves a doctorate in pop music.  There are count-in's, clever lyrics, hooks galore and shimmering synths and beats that work so well with Swift's melodies.

A video has been released with professionally shot tour footage and the lyrics at the bottom. It works perfectly as Swift sings of having to go on tour post break-up with a broken heart.

Official video

A short first verse has Taylor reflecting on what her fans are thinking - she's having the time of her life, touring the world, playing sold out shows, making millions ... but the kiss off line is I can show you lies and then a 1, 2, 3 , 4 count into the pre-chorus.

The pre-chorus builds beautifully, it is classic Swift, a nice use of swearing, tumbling flowing melodies and Taylor pouring her heart out.

Cause I'm a real tough kid

I can handle my shit

They said - 'babe you gotta fake it 'til you make it' and I did

Lights, camera, bitch smile

Even when you wanna die

He said he'd love me all his life

But that life was too short

Breaking down I hit the floor

All the pieces of me shattered as the crowd was chanting - MORE

I was grinnin' like I'm winnin'

I was hittin' my marks

'Cause I can do it with a broken heart

Shimmering synths and beats kick in for the chorus proper. Be warned - this is SUPER CATCHY AND COOL! 

I'm so depressed I act like it's my birthday, every day

I'm so obsessed with him but he avoids me, like the plague

I cry a lot but I am so productive, it's an art

You know you're good when you can even do it, with a broken heart

BOOM! All delivered in precisely 1-minute 36 seconds. So good that it's time to do it all again. Another short verse has Swift still searching for her ex's belongings to ensure she didn't imagine the whole relationship. 

COUNTDOWN

That stunning pre-chorus

COUNTDOWN

BOOM

The super catchy chorus again (honestly - how good is this?!!)

Swift is in the zone and isn't quite ready to finish, the beats keep going, the synths still bubble and shimmer as Taylor realise how good she is at doing it in spite of everything. There is humour but also exceptional honesty as she declares;

I'm miserable

And nobody even knows

Before another beautiful kiss off ah, try and come for my job

WOW! Pop perfection. 

Taylor Swift plays Murrayfield Stadium in Edinburgh on June 7th, 8th and 9th. She is a pop superstar. Enjoy if you're catching here in Scotland or elsewhere. 

I Can Do It With A Broken Heart is added to my Trust Me playlist; search for Everything Flows - Trust Me on Spotify or CLICK HERE 

Check below for all previous blogs in my Trust Me series.

Previous Trust Me blogs

1. Something On Your Mind by Karen Dalton
1A. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells
2. I Am, I Said  by Neil Diamond
3. Where's The Playground Susie?   by Glen Campbell
4. If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lighfoot
5. Gimme Some Truth by John Lennon
6. Gone With The Wind Is My Love by Rita and the Tiaras
7. In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans
8. The Music Box by Ruth Copeland
9. The Ship Song by Nick Cave
10. Sometimes by James
11. I Walk The Earth by King Biscuit Time
12. Didn't Know What I Was In For by Better Oblivion Community Centre
13. When My Boy Walks Down The Street by The Magnetic Fields
14. The Man Don't Give A F**k by Super Furry Animals
15. All Flowers In Time Bend Towards The Sun by Jeff Buckley and Liz Fraser
16. Are You Lookin' by The Tymes
17. A Real Hero by College & Electric Youth
18. Feelings Gone by Callum Easter
19. Sunday Morning by The Velvet Underground
20. Did I Say by Teenage Fanclub
21. Don't Look Back by Teenage Fanclub
23. Belfast by Orbital
24. Clouds by The Jayhawks
25. Dreaming Of You by The Coral
26. Everlasting Love by Love Affair
27. Walk Away Renee by The Left Banke
28. Teenage Kicks by The Undertones
29. Shaky Ground by Sneeze
29. Rill Rill by Sleigh Bells
30. I Can Feel Your Love by Felice Taylor
31. The State We're In by The Chemical Brothers w/ Beth Orton
32. Sunshine After The Rain by Ellie Greenwich
33. Losing My Edge by LCD Soundsystem
34. Mondo 77 by Looper
35. Les Fleurs by Minnie Riperton
36. Rat Trap by The Boomtown Rats
37. How High by The Charlatans
38. I Can't Let Go by Evie Sands
39. Pop Song 89 by R.E.M.
40. Summertime Clothes by Animal Collective
41. There She Goes by The Las
42. We're Going To Be Friends by White Stripes
43. Autumn Sweater by Yo La Tengo
44. Sister Rena by Lomond Campbell
45. Revolution by The Beatles
46. Lazarus by The Boo Radleys
47. Wrote For Luck by Happy Mondays
48. American Trilogy by The Delgados
49. Loser by Beck 
50. Silent Sigh by Badly Drawn Boy
51. Comedy by Shack
52. Take The Skinheads Bowling by Camper Van Beethoven
53. Freakscene by Dinosaur Jr
54. Thank You For Being You by The Pastels
55. I Think I'm In Love by Spiritualized
56. Chestnut Mare by The Byrds
57. Cannonball by The Breeders
58. Like A Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan
59. You Make Me Weak At The Knees by Electrelane
60. Lucky by Radiohead
61. Strange Currencies by R.E.M.
61. I Am The Cosmos by Chris Bell
62. Like A Ship (Without A Sail) by Pastor TL Barrett and the Youth for Christ Choir
63. Nothing But A Heartache by The Flirtations
64. Made of Stone by The Stone Roses
65. Tonight In Belfast by Orbital, David Holmes, DJ Helen and Mike Garry
66. Anything by Adrianne Lenker
67. I Hold Something In My Hand by Bill Ryder-Jones
68. I Meant Every Word by Burnett Sisters
69. Dream Baby Dream by Suicide
70. Stove by The Lemonheads
71. Red Lady by Phil Cordell
72. Little Fluffy Clouds by The Orb


No comments: