Sunday 24 April 2022

Mondo 77


Trust Me #34


 Looper is the electronic band formed and fronted by Stuart David, formerly of Belle & Sebastian. Their Twitter profile simply reads making lofi beats since 1998.

David co-formed Belle & Sebastian and was an integral member through the early glory years 1996-2000. The bands output (that I discuss briefly in this blog) was prolific and outstanding during this period. Four albums and four EP's. 

Leaving to concentrate on his writing and Looper, David has been pretty prolific himself! Releasing 5 albums with Looper and also writing and publishing 5 novels. David's memoir In the All-Night Cafe, recounting the formation of Belle & Sebastian up until the launch show for Tigermilk is a MUST READ in my book. Funny, moving and beautifully vivid. Dreams, friendships, music and love. In fact, I'm going to reread it!

David's storytelling came out in his songs with Belle & Sebastian; A Century Of Elvis and A Space Boy Dream have a beautiful dreamy quality to them.

Anyway, the song Mondo 77 prompted me to write this blog. I can't remember how I discovered the song. It might have been through it featuring in Vanilla Sky. I just remember immediately thinking it was super cool. 

And it is super cool

A dirty synth riff is quickly backed by beats and shouts of 'c'mon, c'mon, keep it going, yeah'. It's infectious in melody and energy. House piano is introduced over more yelps of encouragement, the synth melody is so playful. Beeps and sounds are introduced, bass is in and out, then horns come in.

At 2-minutes 40 seconds everything comes colliding together to sound even more joyful, energetic, fun and vital. This plays out to conclusion and at the end when David shouts 'keep it going, keep it going, yeah', you really do want them to keep it going.

I love it. Super cool lofi beats and dirty melodic synth - gorgeous.

Hope you fall for it hard if you have never heard it before. Or I hope you enjoy rediscovering the song if you haven't heard it in a while.

A list of all previous songs I've blogged about in my Trust Me feature are listed below, along with links to each blog.

I've also collated them all into a playlist on Spotify that you can find by searching for Everything Flows - Trust Me , or you can CLICK HERE

Previous Trust Me blogs

1. Something On Your Mind by Karen Dalton
1A. Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells
2. I Am, I Said  by Neil Diamond
3. Where's The Playground Susie?   by Glen Campbell
4. If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lighfoot
5. Gimme Some Truth by John Lennon
6. Gone With The Wind Is My Love by Rita and the Tiaras
7. In The Year 2525 by Zager and Evans
8. The Music Box by Ruth Copeland
9. The Ship Song by Nick Cave
10. Sometimes by James
11. I Walk The Earth by King Biscuit Time
12. Didn't Know What I Was In For by Better Oblivion Community Centre
13. When My Boy Walks Down The Street by The Magnetic Fields
14. The Man Don't Give A F**k by Super Furry Animals
15. All Flowers In Time Bend Towards The Sun by Jeff Buckley and Liz Fraser
16. Are You Lookin' by The Tymes
17. A Real Hero by College & Electric Youth
18. Feelings Gone by Callum Easter
19. Sunday Morning by The Velvet Underground
20. Did I Say by Teenage Fanclub
21. Don't Look Back by Teenage Fanclub
23. Belfast by Orbital
24. Clouds by The Jayhawks
25. Dreaming Of You by The Coral
26. Everlasting Love by Love Affair
27. Walk Away Renee by The Left Banke
28. Teenage Kicks by The Undertones
29. Shaky Ground by Sneeze
29. Rill Rill by Sleigh Bells
30. I Can Feel Your Love by Felice Taylor
31. The State We're In by The Chemical Brothers w/ Beth Orton
32. Sunshine After The Rain by Ellie Greenwich
33. Losing My Edge by LCD Soundsystem

No comments: