Tuesday 20 March 2018

Best Friend


Last month Belle and Sebastian released the final EP in their trilogy entitled How to Solve our Human Problems. I had been eagerly awaiting its release, not only because Belle and Sebastian are one of my favourite bands, but because I had known for some time that it would contain a song my sister (Carla J Easton) had co-written with Stuart Murdoch! The song, titled Best Friend, also has Carla on lead vocals!



I was super excited when Carla told me stories about going to Stuart's flat to write and bounce ideas off each other and loved when Carla went into the studio and told of how the band were so impressed when she nailed the vocals.

And then there was the wait......... Carla sent me an unmastered version of the song, but I was sworn to secrecy......and I pretty much kept schtum. Why has it taken me so long to write about it?! Well I have just been super busy, but I didn't want to let this pass without a short blog.                                                                                                                                                  I was immensely proud when the song came out to the world at large. It is a beautiful flowing song with a gorgeous melody, containing observational, poignant and humorous lyrics. There are strings, handclaps and Stuart Murdoch on backing vocals. And like all the best Belle and Sebastian songs (and there are many!), it all sounds rather effortless - the groove and the flow... it seems and feels so natural.

I'm not saying that we will be best friends
But I'll take you dancing at the weekend

I've yet to get my hands on the trio of 12-inches, I really must get into Monorail! So expect a blog on all the EP's after I get my hands on the vinyl - although all are available on Spotify.

Belle and Sebastian have been (and are currently) touring extensively and have Scottish dates coming up at the Perth Concert Hall on 23rd March, I'm venturing through to see them at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh on 24th March and then they play the SWG3 Galvanizers Yard on 25th May.

Meanwhile Carla released her 'debut' (at least under own name) solo single, the brilliant Lights In The Dark, in January and has Lights In The Dark a cracking follow up coming soon. She plays Nice n Sleazy on 4th April and Sneaky Petes on 11th April with excellent support from West Princes.







No comments: