Saturday 22 January 2022

Anything Goes & Everything Flows DJ mix 8


Welcome to my 8th DJ mix blog and playlist. A series of 60-minute playlists/mixes trying to create the vibe I would get from entering The Variety / McChuills in Glasgow on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night, where DJ's would work their magic to get the crowd in the mood for moving on to a club, or in my case, often opting to just stay in the bar. 

Starting with the stunningly sublime 7.5 minute Hung Up On My Baby by Isaac Hayes, I'm amazed that I still pack 20-songs into this 60-minute mix! I love the journey you can take people on within just 60-minutes. 


The vast majority of the other songs in this mix are under 3-minute long, but look out for Hangin' Out by Betty Davis that is over 4-minutes and just develops into a real groove with euphoric vocals. Frankie Valli's Beggin' still gets dancefloors jumping, the power in The Flirtations Nothing But A Heartache never ceases to surprise me and hit me hard. Marlena Shaw and Ike & Tina show what you can do in only 2-minutes, the funk groove of Sport puts a smile on my face. And listed for the glorious horns on The Chi-Lites Are You My Woman that Jay-Z sampled decades later for Beyonce's Crazy In Love

I'm really pleased with this mix. Hope you enjoy it.

Search for Everything Flows DJ Mix 8 on Spotify or CLICK HERE.

Tracklist

Hung Up On My Baby (Extended Jam) - Isaac Hayes

Somebody, Somewhere, Help Me - Quincy Conserve

I Can't Believe (What You Say) -Ike & Tina Turner

House of the Rising Funk - Afrique

Sport - Lightnin' Rod

Searching for Soul Part 1 - Jake Wade & The Soul Searchers

Mighty Mighty (Spade & Whitey) - The Impressions

(For God's Sake) Give More Power To The People - The Chi-Lites

Instant Groove - King Curtis

Soul Time - Shirley Ellis

Soul Finger - The Bar-Keys

Twenty Five Miles - Edwin Starr

Beggin' - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

I'm On My Way - Dean Parrish

Berts Apple Crumble - The Quik

Soul Drums - Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie

Liberation Conversation - Marlena Shaw

Hangin' Out - Betty Davis

Nothing But A Heartache - The Flirtations

Are You My Woman? (Tell Me So) - The Chi-Lites


No comments: