Saturday 12 June 2021

Anything Goes & Everything Flows DJ mix 1

Welcome to what might become a semi-regular feature in the blog. A series of 60-minute playlists/mixes trying to create the vibe I would get from entering The Variety / McChuills in Glasgow on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night, where DJ's would work their magic to get the crowd in the mood for moving on to a club, or in my case, often opting to just stay in the bar.

In these magical bars that I frequently visited through my 20's, the DJ's would spin incredibly cool tunes, many that I had never heard before, causing me to go up and ask the DJ what they were playing. McChuills and The Variety were places where the music policy was very much anything goes and everything flows.

I've tried to create mixes that are 60-minutes in length with real thought behind the song selection and order. For this one, search for Anything Goes & Everything Flows DJ mix 1 on Spotify or CLICK HERE

This mix is very soul and funk focused, throwing in a cool cover, splicing in Sleaford Mods and some of you might recognise a song that Fatboy Slim would sample with great success. The SAULT song continues to blow me away.

Tracklist

Felony by The Allergies

I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor by Baby Charles

Free by SAULT

Mork n Mindy by Sleaford Mods & Billy Nomates

Carrot Cake by Pan Amsterdam & Guts

Make Me Believe In You by Patti Jo

I've Got My Reasons by Mary Jane Hooper

Shoorah! Shoorah! by Betty Wright

Jezahel by Shirley Bassey

Sliced Tomatoes by Just Brothers

Why Can't There Be Love by Dee Edwards

Medicated Goo by P.P. Arnold

Sissy Walk by Ann Robinson, Freedom Now Brothers

Gone With The Wind Is My Love - Rita and the Tiaras

Hangin' Out - Betty Davis

Happy (Is My Life) - Andre Williams & Velvet Hammer

You're Gonna Make Me Love You - Sandi Sheldon

No comments: