Saturday 20 July 2013

One Direction - Best Song Ever

One Direction's 'Best Song Ever' isn't the best song ever but it is an excellent pop song and the gimmicky title is excellent; I can't believe no-one has ever thought of it before. Will someone make the move and write a song called 'Worst Song Ever'? Anyway, it was really the title that caused me to check it out, the sheer cheekiness of it fits perfectly with One Direction.


It starts with Baba O'Riley style power chords and bubbling synth that may well have Pete Townsend's publishers picking up the phone. The verses are pretty non-descript, it's the chorus that is slammed home time and time again and the additional hook ' I think it went oh-oh-oh, I think it goes yeah, yeah, yeah....' that make this pure pop.

The bridge; 'Can I take you home with me? She said 'never in your wildest dreams'' is prime American teen move material.

The breakdown is hands in the air, clap along material before the chorus is rammed down your throat.

The 'best song ever' is in fact the song that played as our hero (which one?!) danced all night with his new girl. It caused me to think of the times that it has happened to me (a long time ago), when you met someone at a club and danced and a song that came on that just captured the mood perfectly and it did seem like 'the best song ever'.

In many ways 'Best Song Ever' is incredibly clever pop - it seems so simple but the hooks, choruses and lyrics are really well thought out.


We danced all night to the best song ever
We knew every line now I can't remember
How it goes but I know that I won't forget her
Cause we danced all night to the best song ever




No comments: