Sunday 3 May 2020

Sibling lockdown mixtapes volume 5


Welcome to the volume 6 of the siblings 10-song mixtape lockdown challenge.

This week I included some songs I recently discovered via a Le Beat Bespoke live DJ session, including a stormer by Shocking Blue that I've been playing a lot. I tried to go for a mixtape that would go down well in McChuills, one of my favourite bars in Glasgow. I long to go back in there for a night out and to see old Nick behind the bar or playing some tunes.

My brother really mixes it up and the opening double of Beyonce going into the Manics works surprisingly well. I loved Sugar's Copper Blue album, so it was great to see them featured. Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Elastic sit with Pete Frampton and Elvis. And it works!

This is my sisters strongest playlist yet, or at least it is my favourite. The opening x-rated soul jam is outrageous, The Ikettes song is my song of the week, the Doris Troy and Cookies versions of songs I know are stunning and the closing northern soul romp of I Can Feel Your Love is a blast.

Enjoy.

w/c 27/04

Murray
The Trip - Kim Fowley, Wait A Million Years - The Grass Roots, I Can Only Give You Everything - Them, You're Gonna Miss Me - The 13th Floor Elevators, Send Me A Postcard - Shocking Blue, Have Love Will Travel - The Sonics, Louie Louie - The Kingsmen, I'm Waiting For The Man - The Velvet Underground, How Does It Feel To Feel? - The Creation, All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix



Ross
Love On Top - Beyonce, La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh) - Manic St Preachers, Line Up - Elastica, If I Can't Change Your Mind - Sugar, Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Buddy Holly - Weezer, Steve McQueen - Sheryl Crow, Show Me The Way - Peter Frampton, Do Right Woman, Do Right Man - Aretha Franklin, If I Can Dream - Elvis Presley



Carla

Think Twice (Version X) - Jackie Wilson and LaVern Baker, Bye Bye Baby - Mary Wells, It's Been So Long - The Ikettes, Blackmail - Candi Staton, The Boy from New York City - The Ad Libs, Just One Look - Doris Troy, B-A-B-Y - Carla Thomas, Don't Ever Leave Me - Connie Francis, I'm Into Something Good - The Cookies, Heart - Petula Clark, I Can Feel Your Love - Felice Taylor






No comments: