Sunday 2 April 2017

Never Ending Mixtape part 7


This month, I decided to add a few more songs than usual to the Never Ending Mixtape on Spotify, taking the total number of songs up to 100.

It's quite a mix - even if I do so myself!

The Never Ending Mixtape began in October 2016 when I finally discovered Spotify after years of saying I would never use it. Watch The Sunrise by Big Star kicked things off, joined by the Velvets, Spiritualized, Tricky, Massive Attack, Belly, Mazzy Star, The Orb, The Smiths.....all kinds of things.

Each month I make some additions to the Never Ending Mixtape and the blog allows me to either reminisce about old favourites, seeing acts live or where and when I bought/heard the song, or to talk about recent discoveries.

You can check the Never Ending Mixtape below and then read on to find out the latest additions.


Don't Leave Me This Way - Harold Melvin and the Bluenoses
An all time fave, the way this flows and soars and grooves is simply impeccable.  A dancefloor filler.


If You Want Me To Stay - Sly and the Family Stone
Another groover, the vocal is sensational.


Concrete Schoolyard - Jurassic 5
A tune that reminds me of my mate Reddy.


The Message - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
I've just finished watching the Hip Hop Evolution doc on netflix. Highly recommended.


Temptation - New Order
One of my top 3 songs of all time.



Getting Away With It - Electronic
The perfect pop song for me. Love the lyrics, melody, beats, strings....


No Tears To Cry (Leo Zero remix) - Paul Weller
Sublime, first heard this when Greg Wilson dropped it into one of his mixes.


Miss You - The Rolling Stones
I didn't believe this was the Stones when I first heard it! Jagger is pretty unmistakable though!


Till The End Of The Day - The Kinks
Ferocious!


Ogden's Nut Gone Flake - Small Faces
I used to open DJ sets with this instrumental.


Afterglow (Of Your Love) - Small Faces
Listen to Steve Marriott's voice!


Oh Vanity! - The Charlatans
A stomper by one of my all time fave bands.


North Country Boy - The Charlatans
This was my favourite song through the summer of 1997, 20-years ago.


Wide Open - Chemical Brothers featuring Beck
Absolutely gorgeous. They should do an album together.


Brother's Gonna Work It Out - Willie Hutch
First heard this in a Chemical Brothers mix, just wait till the beats and strings come in!


Stoned Love - The Supremes
This will always remind me of the summer of 2012 and seeing the Roses for the first time in Amsterdam and Heaton Park.


Les Fleur - Minnie Ripperton

Memphis Soul Stew - King Curtis
How good is this? Sounds like it was constructed live in the studio, like it is a jam.



Green Onions - Booker T and the MG's


No comments: