Friday 20 January 2012

Five for Friday 20/01/12

Reach for the tissues for this one, I don't think I have listened to it for 4-years. I had it on my nano when I was travelling, I love the different voices and opinions, the soothing synthsm, the 'bow bam ba bow bam' backing vocals. Funny at times, very moving at others.

Beautiful. The bit at the end sends a shiver down my spine.



Hey, what can I say? I am a romantic.

We'll go on a love theme this week and lets move forward with this outstanding song and performance by Al Green.



How cool is Al Green? The feeling and flow of this song is just stunning.

When it comes to love songs the duets between lovers Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell are hard to top. This must be as close to perfect as you can get. Check out the Funk Brothers instrumental version of this tune too though - schweet!


The Bee Gees have some amazing songs. I have fond memories of a post club party back at my mate Phil's and our friend Fraser taking over the decks and playing loads of Bee Gees tunes at some ungodly hour and us all just singing along and dancing.

This is heartbreaking at times, the production and musicianship are outstanding, the lyrics and vocals just keep tugging at the heartstrings.



The Beach Boys have written some amazing love songs and this must rank up at the top of them. The lyrics are so simple yet so meaingful, sublime.

The Beach Boys version is on their Holland album. Dennis Wilson version would also re-record it for his stunning solo album Pacific Blue. Teenage Fanclub's Norman Blake also has a version here.


No comments: