Saturday 12 February 2022

Anything Goes & Everything Flows DJ mix 9



Welcome to my 9th DJ mix blog and playlist. A series of 60-minute playlists/mixes trying to create the vibe I would get from entering The Variety / McChuills in Glasgow on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night, where DJ's would work their magic to get the crowd in the mood for moving on to a club, or in my case, often opting to just stay in the bar. 

This time I've gone for a slightly different vibe, a late Saturday afternoon in McChuills kind of vibe where DJ's or old Nick behind the bar would have even more freedom to play all kinds of stuff. Maybe they would reach a little deeper into their record collection for this kind of slot/time.

Kicking off with a slow improvised groove by Lizzy Mercier Descloux, I hope this mix throws up all kinds of new discoveries for you; the instant rush of Hush by Joe South, the warm and lovely Will You Promise by Ebo Taylor, the oustanding psychedelic It's Not Easy by Ofege is a song I only discovered at the end of 2021. I'll be blogging on the band in the future.

Elsewhere Grace Jones and DJ Shadow make it seem so effortless, Nancy and Lee sound super cool, how good is Like A Ship?! I'll be blogging on that song soon. And the two closing songs are sublime.

Enjoy. You'll find it on Spotify under Everthing Flows DJ Mix 9 or CLICK HERE

No Golden Throat - Lizzy Mercier Descloux

Le couer au bout des coigts - Jacqueline Taieb

Fantastic Man - William Onyeabor

L Elephant - Tom Tom Club

Hush - Joe South

It's Not Easy - Ofege

Yegulle Tezeta - Mulatu Astake

Will You Promise - Ebo Taylor

Williams Blood - Grace Jones

This Time (I'm Gonna Try It My Way) - DJ Shadow

I Heard It Through The Grapevine - The Slits

Big Red Balloon - Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood

Sunday Morning - Margo Guryan

Like A Ship - Pastor TL Barrett and the Youth for Christ Choir

Action Line - Dorothy Ashby

Love Is A Hurtin' Thing (7-inch version) - Gloria Ann Taylor



No comments: