My aims ..... to try and write catchy songs that don't have traditional structures or do things that you're not expecting. How far can you push 'pop' song structure with it still working?
Julian Corrie (Miaoux Miaoux)
Long term readers of this blog will know how fond I am of the artist Miaoux Miaoux, AKA Julian Corrie.
Julian produced a string of sublime self releases that led to a deal with Chemikal Underground and the 2012 release of the album Light of the North. Julian's ear for sound and melody is exceptional, his ability to create beats and layer sonic soundscapes is joyful. Oh and he has a beautiful voice as well!
This clearly evident talent has led to (increasingly) strong support of Miaoux Miaoux in Scotland from bloggers, publications like The List and The Skinny, bookers, Chemikal and fellow artists - ranging from the DIY scene up to Chvrches and Belle and Sebastian, as well as music fans of all ages and backgrounds.
A positive response to It's The Quick, the lead single from the forthcoming album School of Velocity, and also Unbeatable Slow Machine, by 6Music bodes well. This could be the album that pushes Miaoux Miaoux on to a new level and it would be richly deserved and celebrated by his loyal fanbase.
I caught up with Julian to see how he is getting on ahead of what could be an extremely busy second half of 2015.
1. Light of the North was your first album released via Chemikal Underground. What were the main differences you noticed from a self release?
2. The album gathered some incredible reviews; 3-years since release, what are your favourite moments from the album?
3. Since then you’ve commandeered a band for live shows- were they involved in the writing/recording? What do the band bring to the live shows?
4. You recorded a lot of Light of the North in your own little studio that you owned at the time. Where did you write and record School of Velocity?
6. Have you favoured any particular synths, effects or gadgets for School of Velocity?
7. The teaser that you have released is very impressive. Are there any songs you are particularly proud of?
9. The Cairn String Quartet feature on the new album - are there any other Scottish artists you would like to work with in the future?
10. What music are you enjoying at present?
Miaoux Miaoux play a number of shows and festivals over the summer to promote the album including Stereo on May 27th. Give him a like on Facebook to get details of all the shows planned.