Wednesday 8 October 2014

Temptation by New Order

Last week I headed along to Waterstones in Glasgow for An evening with Bernard Sumner to promote his autobiography Chapter and Verse.

I'd bought the book the previous week and I demolished it over the course of a few days.

In the book Bernard writes fondly about Temptation, my own personal favourite New Order song (and in my all-time top 3 favourite songs alongside Going Back To My Roots and You Set The Scene), and I was delighted when he also spoke about the song in person in Glasgow, saying;

'You can't get it down on a record, it's like an elusive butterfly, it comes to life when you play it live....it's a very spiritual song, it's grown into a 9-minute rock monster. It sounds better live.'


Temptation, 12-inch cover

Temptation was originally released away back in May 1982, reaching number 29 in the charts. The song was later re-recorded for the compilation Substance and also featured in the classic film Trainspotting. It is the song that New Order have played live the most over the years.

Why do I like it so much?

I think it just offers so much - riffs, rawness, hope, love, regret, hooks, melody, grooves...

The original version starts with an extended 1 minutes 18 seconds intro, the band are not in a rush with Temptation, creating plenty of space to explore the groove and the 'ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh's' are just sublime. Check Bernard's shrieks at 45 seconds - Rob Gretton crept into the studio and stuck a snowball down his back!

Everything about this song is perfect. The original version has a delicious rawness to it, the 87 re-recording is a taste of heaven and when New Order play it live you can just get lost in the groove and come out in time to sing-a-long to the hooks. Listen to the crowd going nuts from the off in the 2008 version live in Glasgow. This is a song that will never grow old.

Oh you've got green eyes, oh you've got blue eyes, oh you've got grey eyes
Oh you've got green eyes, oh you've got blue eyes, oh you've got grey eyes
And I've never seen anyone quite like you before
Oh I've never met anyone quite like you before

A heaven, a gateway, a hope
Just like a feeling I need
It's no joke
And though it hurts me to see you this way
Betrayed by words, I'd never heard, to hard to say

Oh up, down, turn around
Tonight I think I'll walk alone
I'll find myself as I go home
Up, down, turn around
Tonight I think I'll walk alone


I'll find myself as I go home

Instrumental

Oh up, down, turn around
Tonight I think I'll walk alone
I'll find myself as I go home
Up, down, turn around
Tonight I think I'll walk alone


I'll find myself as I go home
x2

Each way I turn, I know I'll always try
To break the circle that's been placed around me
From time to time, I find I've lost some need
That wasn't urgent, to myself, I do believe

Oh you've got green eyes, oh you've got blue eyes, oh you've got grey eyes
Oh you've got green eyes, oh you've got blue eyes, oh you've got grey eyes
And I've never seen anyone quite like you before
Oh I've never met anyone quite like you before

Bolts from above hurt the people down below
People in this world we have no place to go

Oh it's the last time, oh it's the last time, oh it's the last time
And I've never met anyone quite like you before
No I've never met anyone quite like you before

New Order - Temptation live in 1984

New Order - Temptation live in 1981 in New York City

New Order - Temptation live in Glasgow 2008 (I was there)







1 comment:

Scott said...

The live in Glasgow version is one of my favourites. Sadly I wasn't there, but the crowd participation is truly wonderful