Wednesday 7 August 2013

Fake Major - Little Researcher

I felt a little guilty about leaving King Tuts on Monday night after the opening act - see previous blog on Kevin Harper. Hey, I'm getting into my late 30's and I had been at Wickerman for the weekend. I like and need my sleep and I knew I needed sleep. Anyway, enough excuses.

I was extremely tempted to stay and watch Fake Major as unfortunately I had missed them at Wickerman and I have enjoyed their first offering on burgeoning DIY/boutique label Comets & Cartwheels, so I though I'd do a wee review of the lead song from their debut EP 'Have Plenty Of Fun'.

Fake Major formed from the ashes of relatively popular Glasgow band Endor (who had a brilliant song titiled 'Fly Straight and Always Wear Sensible Shoes' and a few other too!).

The thing that struck me with 'Little Researcher' on first listen was how polished and assured it sounded. The production is superb, the guitar riff is beautifully playful and melodic, the lyrics are mature and well thought.

'....one day we ourselves will die, though we might not know why...'


The instrumental closing section of the song is pretty stunning. I'm kind of kicking myself for not staying last night as i listen to it again. It will be interesting to see what they do next - another EP or an album?

Pardon the pun, but there is nothing fake about Fake Major.


No comments: