Tuesday 13 June 2023

Radio

 


30-years ago #5
Radio by Teenage Fanclub

Released on 14th June 1993, Teenage Fanclub's Radio is an impeccable slice of guitar power pop perfection. A song that always makes me want to play air guitar, sing-a-long and (still at my age) jump up and down. 

Radio is a pure rush of a song, the band absolutely tear into it and don't let up. It's all over in 2-minutes 52 seconds. Radio really did help to soundtrack the summer of 93 for me. I bought the CD single from Impulse Records in Hamilton and played it on a loop.

I loved (and love) the cover of the old radio with the Teenage Fanclub stencil logo proudly and boldly emblazoned on the front. The song begins with a little banjo intro, then there is a glorious explosion of ferocious drumming by Brendan, loud and fuzzy guitars and Gerry sounding super cool;

I think I'll kill the radio
Don't wanna hear this song
Can't relate to yesterday
What we did was wrong
Yeah, mmm

The way Gerry sings baby as he hits the chorus as Norman sings backing vocals and then harmonizes is spine tingling. The pace is fast, furious and fun throughout. Raymond's brilliant guitar riff comes out even stronger in the live performances below.

Baby, justify the reason behind your style
Find a place that fits and stay there for a while

Love to hear your song
On the AM
On the AM

I'd already fallen for Teenage Fanclub as a 15-year old in 1991. Two years on, at 17 and having just left school,  I was head over heels, eagerly anticipating their forthcoming Thirteen album and the prospect of seeing them live for the first time. 


Now, at 47, I'm instantly transported back to being 17 when I hear Radio. Energy leaps out of the song and straight into my heart, putting a big smile on my face.

Oh how I love that exuberant burst of guitar after the first chorus. It only lasts 10-seconds and then we're into the second verse. The crash after the first line is beautifully timed, the band are absolutely flying through it. Guitar pop punk perfection!

When I try to trip you up
I'm the one who falls

All these years down the line, I still find myself eagerly anticipating new releases and live dates by Teenage Fanclub. I still love to hear their songs on the radio! 

Did you know when I was young
I'd paint my face
With the latest craze

The band have announced an extensive European Tour for October and November to promote new album Nothing Lasts Forever, out on September 22nd.

And Gerry has been recording down in Liverpool with Bill Ryder-Jones. Hopefully we'll hear a single before the year is out and then the album in early 2024.

In the meantime, check out the official video for Radio, performances from T in the Park 1994 and Later with Jools (love Gerry's grin right at the end!) and a blast through it in 1995 - anyone know the venue?

And you can check my blog on Thirteen HERE





30-years ago - previous blogs in the series




No comments: