Thursday 8 June 2023

Dream setlist by The Charlatans

The news that The Charlatans were returning to the Barrowland Ballroom in Glasgow on Saturday 25th November had me checking my work calendar to see if I could be poised and ready for presale tickets going live at 10am on Wednesday 7th June.

I've been on The Charlatans mailing list for many a year and ... I didn't get a presale link. From Twitter, it seems like I wasn't the only one. But thankfully my friend Robbie got me, my wife and my brother a ticket, so we're all sorted!

The Charlatans have added a second night and still have space in their tour diary for a third ... TICKETS

Tim Burgess and co have a long history with the Barrowland. I honestly couldn't tell you how many times I have seen them there over the years. A few! The atmosphere is always electric, like a cup final. 

Memories include an opening blast of I Never Want An Easy Life and Can't Get Out Of Bed in 1994/95 with someone crowdsurfing to Oasis I Am The Walrus before the band had even come on stage. 

The atmosphere was electric that night, like a cup final. Indeed, it always is when The Charlatans play The Barrowland. There is a beautiful bond, a powerful connection. The band, venue and audience become one and it is very, very special.

To be honest, I'm pretty gutted when they play the Academy!

Check this sensational live Radio 1 audio bootleg from December 1997. The band are in sensational form!

The Charlatans, Glasgow Barrowland, December 1997 bootleg

Another time my brother Ross and I went out the night before he turned 21. The band came on stage and played the beautiful long intro to Forever, then Tim can on stage with his hands in the air and the place just erupted. 

And then when The Charlatans played Some Friendly in full the whole venue became a massive indie club dancefloor when the band played The Only One I Know. But then, that particular song always generates that reaction, but maybe the famous sprung dancefloor at the Barrowland helps people dance harder and jump even higher.

Many of you reading this blog will have experienced the Barrowland roar. A special ovation reserved for special songs. An ovation that goes on and on, feet stomping, hands clapping, loud roars. The Charlatans have a few special songs in their arsenal and I can't wait to hear them and the roar of appreciation afterwards. I have tingles down my spine just thinking about it. I bet the band does too!

Will they have a new album out? Or will they just smash through a greatest hits and favourites set?

Either way, I'll be happy! The news about their show led me to try and create my dream Charlatans setlist. 

It could change from time to time, but for a Saturday night at the Barrowland ... this would take the roof off the place!

You can check it on my playlist here - Dream setlist - The Charlatans or search it on Spotify.

Forever

Tremelo Song

Can't Get Out Of Bed

Crashin' In

Tellin' Stories

Impossible

A Man Needs To Be Told

Oh! Vanity

Blackened Blue Eyes

Then

Weirdo

Try Again Today

The Blind Stagger

Just Lookin'

Just When You're Thinkin' Things Over

North Country Boy

The Only One I Know

One To Another

Come Home Baby

ENCORE

Happen To Die

Let The Good Times Be Never Ending

Sproston Green




No comments: