I've caught them a few times since then, got on with their singer/songwriter (and lead Eskimo) Kevin and spoken to a number of people about them. I've never heard a bad word about the and or Kevin, with many people praising them to the hilt.
Reading between the lines, quite a lot has happened in the North Pole over the last couple of years and Kevin was a lone Eskimo for a while. May 2011 finds him with a band of fellow Eskimos and keen to push his songs forward, perhaps encouraged by winning an award at the SAMA's (Scottish Alternative Music Awards) earlier this year, or perhaps because (like me) he gets pissed off at some of the utter sh*te that is released and drooled over.
So this is the single; 'Rather Be Right' b/w 'Barcode Music' that will hopefully push the band forwards. With a number of releases and gigs planned I hope so.
'Rather Be Right' is currently on its fourth play on itunes. 5 things I've learned about 'Rather Be Right' already are;
- It's quite raw at times - in a good garage pop kind of way
- Kevin does indeed have a great ear for pop music as so many people have told me
- The break at 2 minutes 14 seconds is dramatic, lovely and clever
- The short instrumental afterwards before it picks up again is great
- The song then really flows to conclusion