Friday 24 June 2011

Five for Friday - Part V, Glastonbury special

So I have the day off today, the papers, TV and Radio are full of Glastonbury coverage. If I have heard 'Glastonbury mud' once, I have already heard it a dozen times.


Here are 5 tunes that may feature prominently on the Beeb's coverage over the weekend;


Lets kick start this Friday with some booty shaking of the highest order in the shape of Beyonce's delightful derriere. Jay-Z is a lucky man indeed. Beyonce is pretty lucky as well, with her man providing several outstanding pop anthems, with 'Crazy In Love' being my personal favourite; taking the horns from The Chi-lites 'Are You My Woman? (Tell Me So)' and speeding them up and making them sound a million times louder. This still sounds fresh, pure pop.


I'm not a huge fan of Coldplay, but I do genuinely love their song 'Fix You', especially the closing section beginning 'tears stream, down your face'. With Coldplay up against U2, both will be trying to outdo each other with their 'big' songs. This has all the makings of a real 'Glastonbury moment'.




So what about U2? Reports coming out of the 'camp' indicate that they are all arguing over what to play. Some early stuff, some political stuff, some crowd pleasers, some new stuff, experimental stuff...They certainly have enough to choose from. 


There is also going to be a protest against the bands decision to move their publishing company to Holland to save money on tax. So it may well be in the bands best interests to just blast out a career spanning best of set. After all, no matter what you think about Bono and his cronies, they do have some incredible songs. This, along with 'One' and 'Pride' is probably my personal favourite and I used to think the video was really cool when I was a kid. I still do, I'd love a band to do this in Glasgow city centre.




So that is the headliners, how to choose 2 more songs from such an incredible line-up. I've already devoted quite a lot of attention to Primal Scream and Screamadelica in this blog, but to see them playing it at Glastonbury would be amazing. I also imagine Kool and the Gang will generate a real party vibe when they play!


I've been listening to The Smiths quite a bit lately and I imagine that Morrissey will throw a few classic into his set. Despite his miserable image at times, Morrissey knows how to wow a crowd. This would be inredible if he launched into this and introduced Marr from the side of the stage, the shimmering guitar echoing across Glastonbury with the sun going down (presuming it comes up). 




I'll end with a burst of euphoric pop by The Go Team, as you always need to dance at a festival and when their debut album came out I found it refreshingly pure, raw and pop. They will be sure to get the crowd going at Glastonbury.



No comments: