Tuesday 23 July 2024

Brilliant debut singles part 2

Hello

Welcome to part 2 of my new series where I look at brilliant debut singles by artists and bands. Songs that left a mark, established identities and inspired people to become fans or start creating music themselves.

Sometimes, bands/artists seem to appear perfectly formed.

I've started a Spotify playlist HERE

Part 1 featured; The Doors, The Undertones, Pet Shop Boys, Stardust and Tracy Chapman

Part 2 (below) features; Booker T & The MG's, The Jackson 5, Kate Bush, Radiohead and The Sex Pistols.

6. Green Onions by Booker T & The MG's

Talk about capturing your signature sound on a debut! Green Onions is a song that seemed to always be on in cool places like McChuills or the Friday Street soul night that I used to attend in Blackfriars basement. Bands like The Charlatans would reference the song and it appeared on several soul compilations I bought. I eventually tracked down the record on 7-inch vinyl in a long gone record shop in St Andrews.

An instrumental, Green Onions has a dirty groove with bass, guitar, beats and Hammond all riding it. The Hammond is at the centre of everything though. What a delightful sound! 

Released on Stax Records, way back in 1962, Green Onions still sounds remarkably fresh. An energy leaps out of the grooves. Perhaps this is because the song developed from a jam while the band were in the recording studio and it was captured live. There are audible yelps of excitement at times from the band.

Live in 1967

7. I Want You Back by The Jackson 5

Exhilarating soulful pop music that will always sound super fresh, fun and exciting. Timeless! The bass line, the backing vocals and a young Michael Jackson singing his heart out with pure joy. The energy leaping out of this record is breathtaking. 

Michael Jackson was just 11 years old when he sang this song, released by Motown in 1969. Yet his youthful voice contains so much emotion as he sings of a lost love that he wants back.

The bass riff is absolutely sensational, it must be one of the best of all time. And Michael's brothers backing vocals are an integral part of the song, almost like a second lead. 

Pure Pop perfection. An absolute 10/10 record.

Live - Ed Sullivan Show

8. Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush

Kate Bush was still a teenager when she introduced herself to the world with the impeccable Wuthering Heights . Remarkably, Bush was the first female artist to reach the top of the UK charts with a self-written song! I find this quite staggering.

Inspired by the film and book, Wuthering Heights begins with a short, beautiful piano intro, but it's when Bush starts singing at 9-seconds in that you sit up, listen more closely and think, what is this?! Who is this?!

Out on the wily, windy moors, we'd roll and fall in green

You had a temper like my jealousy, too hot, too greedy

How could you leave me when I needed to possess you?

I hated you, I loved you, too

Wow! This still sounds fresh, urgent and vital almost 50-years later. What must it have sounded and felt like in 1978?! No wonder Bush captivated so many.

Bush' lyrics are, on the most part, relatively simple. Words like; jealousy, leave, hated, loved, bad dreams, fight, home, cold, dark, lonely and the hook on the chorus let me in your window.

Combined with her voice and the way she stretches her melodies, it is incredibly moving, exceptionally powerful, utterly captivating. Bush recorded the vocals in one take!

Official video

9. Creep by Radiohead

Thom Yorke boldly and openly declared I wish I was special, so f**king special on Radiohead's debut single and teenagers across the world found a song, singer and band they could relate to.

Creep sold only 6,000 copies when it was originally released in September 1992, but upon re-release a year later, the song took Radiohead into the top 10 and gave them national exposure that they built on with their stunning second album The Bends. It's safe to say, Radiohead have never looked back and they have always looked to push boundaries, explore sounds and textures to keep stretching themselves as musicians and artists.

Greenwood's crunches into gear after the aforementioned I wish I was special, so f**king special line, as Yorke goes on to sing but I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo.

Perhaps it's the second verse that was most (and remains) most relatable.

I don't care if it hurts, I wanna have control

I wanna perfect body, I wanna perfect soul

I want you to notice, when I'm not around

So f**king special, I wish I was special

After the second chorus Yorke goes full on falsetto, building to a huge raaaaaiiiiinnnnn, raiiiiiiiiinnnnn where he holds the notes in a way no-one else was doing, or could even dream of doing.

Official video

10. Anarchy In The UK by Sex Pistols

A band that conquered against all the odds. They somehow managed to unite and divide. They inspired love and hate. That's precisely why they are still talked about today, The Sex Pistols stood out a mile. Jonny Rotten was like no-one before him and God knows how many people have tried to imitate him since.

Steve Jones, Glen Matlock and Paul Cook backed Rotten with a punk update on Spector's Wall of Sound, creating a glorious racket that energized teenagers across the country and appalled parents. Just read and listen to the opening lines, spat out with total commitment and glee by Rotten. 

I am an antichrist

And I am an anarchist 

Don't know what I want

But I know how to get it

I wanna destroy

Raw, pure, defiant and original, the song was banned by several radio stations. No-one knew how to take The Sex Pistols, no-one (not even their celebrated manager Malcolm McLaren) really knew what to do with them. But they demanded attention. And they got it!

Watch the official video to see why. 


No comments: