Sunday 11 September 2011

Chair by Big Deal

This week whilst browsing some websites on t'internet I stumbled across a couple of review of 'Chair' by a band called Big Deal that caused me to check them out. I'm glad I did.

I've just bought their album 'Lights Out', so expect a review of that at some point in the future. In the meantime kick back and watch this live version here and read the review below;


So what do you get with Big Deal? Are they a big deal?

Well they are a good deal and that is enough for me. The fact they had previously released a single on Moshi Moshi - purveyors of exceptional taste - before signing to Mute Records is a good start.

Fuzzy, scratchy electric guitar is underpinned by acoustic, the perfect soundtrack for dreamy boy-girl vocals courtesy of Kasey Underwood and Alice Costelloe. Costelloe has indie pinup  potential, a cross between Debbie Harry and Kim Gordon.

Lets get on to the music though. 'Chair' is under 3-minutes of pure pop dealing with that good old subject of love and relationships. 

Within 30-seconds we have the line 'only want me for the songs I write about you, about how I like you' over a gentle acoustic riff before the fuzzed guitars kick in.

Costelloe's vocals are sugar sweet with a razor sharp edge, one minute in the song lifts with the bittersweet line;

don't you wanna have that morning again, 
wanna be your lover I'm trying hard to be your friend

And the hook

you don't trust me to sit on your bed
put me on a chair in the corner instea-ea-ead

Before the kiss off;
you're so sweet and you keep me that way
mess with my head, mess with my head

No comments: