Tuesday 19 August 2008

The Beep Seals, Norman Blake & St Deluxe

On Friday I attended the Glasgow msuic institution that is Nice 'n' Sleazys. It's more nice than sleazy these days, but it still has that low vibe indie feeling to it that makes it special. The main reason I was there was due to the fact that Norman Blake was playing a solo support slot to the main band The Beep Seals. Glasgow band St Deluxe were also supporting, making it excellent value for the £7 pay on the door ticket. 

I did make the mistake of going out straight after work, so after several beers in the Variety Bar along the road and with no food in my belly I rolled into Sleazys with my friend Lorna around 8.20pm, in time to see St Deluxe play their full set. St Deluxe play with a genuine passion that other bands can only dream of. There is no posing, no ridiculous haircuts, trilby hats, skinny jeans or waistcoats. They play real indie rock, crediting My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr and Jesus & Marychain among their influences. Their fuzzy scuzzy indie rock with a tinge of pop went down well with the crowd that grew the longer their set went on. They are well worth checking out www.myspace.com/stdeluxe

By the time Norman Blake took to the stage I was pretty hammered. He played a set of cover versions, starting off with a beautiful Scottish folk song and then playing 60's pop tunes including 'Baby Lee' (complete with backing from The Beep Seals). It was fantastic to see Norman in such a small venue and if you do a search on YouTube you will find videos of his set.

I was thoroughly impressed by The Beep Seals and I would have bought their album after the gig if I hadn't spent all my money on beer by that point. They hail from Manchester and are very fanclub-esque, with beautiful harmonies, great chord changes and a real fun-time pop attitude. Norman got on stage at the end to play a brilliant version of the Fanclub classic 'The Concept', with three guitars duelling at the end. Lovely.

I rolled in my flat at midnight and needless to say Saturday was a complete write-off. Top night out.

No comments: